Steak And Kidney Pie
|Chuck steak||2 Pound, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes (1 kg)|
|Ox kidney||1⁄2 Pound, skin and cores removed and cut into cubes (225 g)|
|Flour||2 Ounce (50g)|
|Dripping/Lard||2 Ounce (50g)|
|Onions||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 ml)|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Puff pastry dough||1 (Basic, made with 225 g/1/2 lb flour)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. In a flameproof casserole dish, heat the oil and fry the chops briskly until browned on both sides.
3. With a slotted spoon, remove from the casserole then add the onion and fry gently until soft.
4. Return the chops to the casserole.
5. In a bowl mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the chops.
6. Cook with cover in a preheated moderate oven for 1 hour or until the chops are tender.
7. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly and leave in the casserole or transfer to a rigid container. Cover, then wrap the casserole in a freezer bag or foil. Seal, label and freeze.
8. To serve the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours, then reheat in the covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) for about 1 hour or until heated through.