Luscious Lemon Pie
|9 inch baked pie shell||1|
|Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Marshmallows||25 , cut in pieces|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Whipping cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), whipped|
|Vanilla extract||1 Drop|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Toasted coconut||2 Tablespoon (to garnish)|
1) In top of double boiler, mix together lemon juice, water and marshmallows.
2) Simmer and cook stirring frequently until marshmallows are dissolved completely.
3) In a clean bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy.
4) Pour the marshmallow mixture in the egg yolk mixture.
5) Place the marshmallow mixture, back on double boiler.
6) Simmer, stirring frequently until the marshmallow mixture is thick.
7) Take the marshmallow mixture away from the heat and stir in the lemon rind and allow to cool.
8) In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until firm.
9) Lightly fold the egg white mixture in the marshmallow mixture.
10) Spoon the marshmallow mixture in the baked shell.
11) Place the pastry shell in the refrigerator until chill.
12) In a bowl, fold together whipped cream, sugar and vanilla.
13) Spoon the cream mixture around the edges of the pie and drege with coconut.
14) Cut in wedges and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on side if desired.