Orange Chiffon Pie
|Baked 9 inch pie shell||1|
|Plain gelatin||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a bowl, soak the gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes.
2) In a top part of double boiler, mix together egg yolks, ½ cup of the sugar, orange and lemon juice and salt.
3) Cook over boiling water, stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
4) Stir the gelatine in the yolk mixture until dissolved.
5) Mix in the orange rind.
6) Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
7) Place in the refrigerator until chill and starts to set.
8) In a clean bowl, beat the egg white along with the remaining sugar until firm.
9) Fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture.
10) Spoon and spread into the baked pie and chill until set.
11) Cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.