Velvety Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
|Baked 10 inch pastry shell||1|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Packed brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pumpkin||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs), cooked and mashed|
|Pumpkin pie spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1. To prepare the pastry shell bake and let it cool.
2. Soften gelatine in water.
3. In a bowl beat egg yolks and mix well adding brown sugar, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, salt and stirring in milk.
4. Increase the pumpkin pie spice to 3 teaspoons for a heavy spice note.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until it begins to boil and then continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from heat, add softened gelatin, stirring until melted and let it cool.
7. To the egg whites add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
8. Add the 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff but not dry.
9. Beat cooled pumpkin mixture until smooth and gently fold in egg whites.
10. Spoon into crust and chill.
11. Top with whipped cream and serve.
Calories 521 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.6%
Saturated Fat 15.9 g79.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.4 mg54.1%
Sodium 369.4 mg15.4%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.4%
Sugars 45.5 g
Protein 10 g19.6%
Vitamin A 52.7% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 9.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet