Chocolate Mace Cream Pie
|9 inch baked pastry shell||1|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate squares||3 Ounce, melted (3 Squares, 1 Ounce Each)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Bake and cool pastry shell if it a frozen one.
2. In a saucepan blend together the 1 1/2 cups sugar, salt, cornstarch, flour and mace.
3. Cook over medium heat, gradually stirring in milk and melted chocolate and stirring constantly, until thickened.
4. Removing from heat gradually stir part of this hot mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolks.
5. Blend the two mixtures and add butter.
6. Return to heat and continue cooking until thick, stirring constantly.
7. Remove from heat, let it cool, stir in vanilla and pour into pastry shell.
8. To egg whites beat adding cream of tartar until peaks form.
9. Add the 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat hard 5 minutes.
10. Over top of chocolate filling, spoon meringue being sure to bring meringue to edge of crust.
11. Bake in 400°F oven or broil for 8 minutes until lightly browned.
12. Chill for about 3-5 hours before and serve.