|Saltine crackers||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely crushed|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), thinly sliced, separated into rings|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Small, slightly beaten|
|Sharp process american cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Mix together 1/4 cup of melted butter and crumbs.
3) Onto the bottom and up the sides of an 8-inch pie plate, press the mixture.
4) In 2 tablespoons of butter, cook the onion till it is soft but not brown. Put the onion in the crumb shell.
5) Combine together the eggs, milk, 3/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Mix well.
6) Pour the mixture all over the onions.
7) Sprinkle the pie with cheese and paprika.
8) Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, till a knife inserted between the center and edge emerges clean.
9) Serve the Onion Pie hot. If preferred, garnish with additional cooked onion rings and parsley. Makes a good main course dish. Can also be served as an appetizer or a snack.
Calories 349 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.6%
Saturated Fat 9.6 g47.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 99.9 mg33.3%
Sodium 676.8 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.93 g3.7%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 6.6%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 15.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet