Corn Pone Pie
|For tomato chutney|
|Tomatoes||4 , chopped|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Apple juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Apple||1 , chopped|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Scallions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg substitute||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Coat a 9-inch pie plate with butter.
3) In a saucepan, combine together the tomatoes, onions, celery, bay leaf and apple juice.
4) Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes.
5) Add the apples, vinegar, cinnamon and allspice to the simmering mixture.
6) Partially cover and simmer stirring frequently, for 40 minutes, or until thick.
7) Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
8) In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, turmeric and allspice.
9) Add the corn, scallions and parsley mix well until combined.
10) In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, egg substitute and oil.
11) Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour bowl.
12) With a rubber spatula, quickly combine the mixtures.
13) Pour the flour batter in the pie plate and level the top.
14) Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
15) Serve the pie hot topped with the chutney.