Banana Apricot Pie
|Chopped dried apricot||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Bananas||2 , sliced|
|9 inch baked pastry shell||1 , cooled|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Combine together the apricots and 1 ½ cups of water.
3) Cover the contents and gently simmer till tender, about 10 minutes.
4) Combine together the flour, sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Mix well and stir the mixture into the apricot mixture.
5) Cook the mixture till it s boiling and let it boil for 2 minutes. Keep stirring constantly.
6) Into the egg yolks, stir small amount of the hot mixture. Return the mixture to the hot mix.
7) Cool and stir once again till the mixture is boiling.
8) Add the butter and stir well.
9) In the bottom of the pastry shell, place the sliced bananas and top with the apricot filling.
10) To make the meringue, beat together 3 egg whites, ½ teaspoon of vanilla and ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar till soft peaks are formed.
11) Add 6 tablespoons of sugar very gradually, beating well till stiff and glossy peaks are formed and all the sugar has completely dissolved.
12) Spread the meringue over the hot apricot filling and seal the edges.
13) Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
14) Let the pie cool for a few minutes.
15) Serve the pie as a dessert. Can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.