Classic Deep Dish Cherry Pies
|Sifted all-purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lard||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Ice cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned sour red cherries||5 Pound, pitted (Use 5 Cans, 1 Pound Each, About 10 Cups)|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Extracted From 1 Fruit)|
1) Preheat the oven at 450° F.
2) To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt.
3) Cut in lard till the mixture looks coarse.
4) Till the mixture can be shaped into a ball, keep mixing with a fork and adding ice water
5) On a flour dusted board, break down the dough into smaller pieces and roll them out to a 1/8-inch thickness.
6) With the help of a pastry wheel or knife, cut 3-inch squares place in oven for about 15 minutes.
7) For the filling, in a saucepan, drain out the cherry juice and bring to a boil.
8) Combine sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sift into the juice while stirring continuously to avoid lumps .
9) Continue cooking till the liquid is clear and thick.
10) Now add the lemon juice and the cherries and continue heating.
11) Can be served hot or cold topped with a dollop of whipped cream.