|Vermicelli||6 Ounce (170 gram)|
|Olive oil||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Eggs||2 , lightly beaten|
|Ground nutmeg||1 1⁄4 Pinch (1 large pinch)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Canned italian peeled tomatoes||835 Milliliter (3 1/3 cups)|
|Orange||1⁄2 Large, rind grated|
|Finely chopped fresh mint||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Pinch (1 large pinch)|
|Fontina cheese/Bel paese cheese||1⁄4 Pound, cut into small cubes (110 gram)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2) In a pan, cook the vermicelli in the boiling salted water, until tender. Drain well then stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
3) In a large bowl, mix the eggs, nutmeg, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste.
4) Stir in the vermicelli and coat thoroughly with the egg mixture.
5) In a greased 9 inch pie plate, press the pasta evenly over the bottom and sides to form a shallow rim.
6) Cover the rim loosely with a foil strip and bake for 10 minutes, or until firm. Leave in the oven with the foil until required.
7) In a frying pan, gently saute the garlic in the oil for 1 minute.
8) Drain and break the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, stir into the pan and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and reserve the juice.
9) Stir in the salt and pepper to taste, 1/3 cup reserved tomato juice and orange rind; simmer until the tomatoes are pulpy and thick, stirring occasionally.
10) Turn off the heat, stir in the mint and sugar, then allow to cool slightly.
11) Stir the cheese into the tomato mixture, mix thoroughly and spoon into the pasta base.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until firm. Cool slightly before serving.
13) Slice into wedges and serve the Pasta Pie, immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 747 Calories from Fat 452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.5%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g65.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 148.5 mg49.5%
Sodium 808.5 mg33.7%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 24 g47.7%
Vitamin A 42.1% Vitamin C 53.5%
Calcium 38.9% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet