Chocolate Cream Pie
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten, reserve egg whites for meringue|
|Orange flavored liqueur||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Orange flavored liqueur||1 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. For crust
3. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt and cut in shortening using a pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Sprinkle with water and mix until a soft dough forms.
5. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
6. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate and trim edge of dough using a sharp knife.
7. with a fork prick bottom of crust and chill for 30 minutes.
8. Bake crust 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned and cool completely on a wire rack.
9. For filling,
10. In a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cocoa and cornstarch.
11. Stir in milk and butter and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and begins to boil.
12. Continuing to stir, boiling for 1 minute and remove from heat.
13. Add about 1/2 cup chocolate mixture to egg yolks and stir until well blended.
14. To the chocolate mixture in saucepan gradually add egg mixture, stirring until well blended.
15. Returning to medium heat bring to a boil and boil 1 minute until thick enough to coat back of a spoon.
16. Into the filling stir liqueur and vanilla, remove from heat and pour into crust.
17. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
18. For meringue, in a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
19. Add liqueur and gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
20. Spread meringue over filling and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
21. Serve warm or chilled or store in an airtight container in refrigerator.