Apple Custard Pie with A Twist
|Cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into pieces and chilled|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Golden delicious apples||3|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|1% milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Low Fat)|
|Reduced-fat sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Quick cooking oats||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1 Tablespoon, chilled|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) To make the crust, stir together both the flours, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
3) Use a pastry blender, your fingertips or 2 knives held like scissors, to cut in the vegetable oil spread till the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
4) Sprinkle the mixture with 2 tablespoons of cold water and lightly toss with a fork to moisten. Gather the mixture into a ball.
5) Roll out the dough on a lightly floured waxed paper to a round of about 10 ½-inches.
6) Into a 9-inch pie pan, invert the waxed paper with dough and peel the paper off.
7) Into the bottom and up the sides of the pan, fit the dough. Trim the edges and place in fridge while making the filling.
8) To make the filling, peel the apples and coarsely grate them to make 3 cups.
9) In a fine-mesh sieve, place the apples and press them to remove the excess liquid.
10) Toss the grated apple with lemon juice in a medium bowl.
11) Add 1 tablespoon of flour and mix well.
12) In a separate medium bowl, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, egg white, whole egg, milk, sugar, sour cream, lemon zest and salt. Blend well.
13) Add to the apple mixture and stir well.
14) Spread the filling evenly into the refrigerated pie crust.
15) Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
16) TO make the streusel, stir together the flour, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl.
17) Use your fingertips to work in the vegetable oil spread by rubbing and pinching till the mixture resembles fine crumbs and hold together well when pressed.
18) Sprinkle the mixture with about 1 tablespoon of water and lightly toss with a fork to moisten.
19) Once the pie has baked, sprinkle the streusel all over the filling.
20) Return the pie to the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, till the center is firm and slightly puffed.
21) Transfer the preparation to a wire rack and allow to slightly cool.
22) Serve at room temperature or warm. Can be served in individual plates after cutting into slices, or whole on a decorative serving platter.
Calories 598 Calories from Fat 161
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.8%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.5%
Trans Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 59.3 mg19.8%
Sodium 224.8 mg9.4%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.3%
Sugars 47.3 g
Protein 12 g24.9%
Vitamin A 16.4% Vitamin C 13.1%
Calcium 10% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet