Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
|Sweet potatoes/2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed||2 Medium, peeled, cubed|
|White potatoes/6 large white potatoes, peeled, cubed||6 Medium, peeled, cubed|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Italian seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|For curried lentil filling|
|Purified water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cajun seasoning||2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Broccoli florets||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yellow bell pepper/1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Nutritional yeast||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Zucchini||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut in rounds|
|Breadcrumbs/1 cup premade croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Scallions/1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced (For Garnish)|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Simmer white and sweet potatoes in a pot filled with water for 45 minutes or until they can be pierced easily using a fork.
3. Strain and keep aside 2 cups water.
4. Add 1 cup water to the pot back and using a fork or masher, mash the potatoes.
5. Blend in Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, and olive oil and mash well.
6. Meanwhile, cook lentils along with Cajun seasoning and bay leaf in 3 cups of water for 45 minutes. Take off from heat, drain excess liquid, and allow to cool.
7. In a large saute pan, sautÃ© garlic, onions, bell pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms in olive oil for 4 minutes or until onions turn limp and transparent.
8. Stir in potato water, curry powder, nutritional yeast, and salt and blend well. Add to cooked lentils.
9. Cook lentil mixture after adding cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
10. Take off from heat.
11. Line casserole with zucchini rounds, top with breadcrumbs, 4 cups mashed potatoes, and 2 cups curried lentils.
12. Spoon rest of the mashed potatoes followed by breadcrumbs or scallions.
13. Bake for about 50 minutes.
14. Take out and keep aside for 15 minutes.
15. Cut into slices and serve with a topping of fresh melted cheese and browned onions.