Peach Lemon Mist Pie
|Sweet lemon pie crust||1|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Lemon, rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Vegetable shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ice water||4 Tablespoon|
|Peach lemon filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||4 Small, separated|
|Canned peach juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon, rind||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Lemon juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft cheese||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Peaches||13 Ounce, sliced (1 Can)|
1. Combine ingredients for crust as when making Plain Pie Pastry.
2. Rest, and roll out into a circle 12 inches in diameter.
3. Use to line a 9-inch pie plate, giving shell a doubled-over, fluted edge.
4. Prick base of shell.
5. Bake at 450°F, for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
6. In the top of a double boiler, combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, the gelatin and salt.
7. Add the egg yolks (slightly beaten), the peach juice, lemon rind and lemon juice.
8. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly over the base of the boiler, until the mixture starts to thicken (about 7 minutes).
9. Blend the soft cheese with another 1/4 cup sugar and 1/3 of the gelatin mixture.
10. Spread over bottom of baked pie shell and chill until firm.
11. Stand pan containing remaining gelatin mixture in chilled water until mixture is thick but still liquid.
12. Mash in a food processor 1 1 1/2 cups of the canned peaches; spread mixture over set gelatin-cheese mixture in the pastry shell.
13. Beat the egg whites until they form soft mounds.
14. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until meringue is stiff and glossy.
15. Fold in thick gelatin mixture.
16. Spoon this set meringue all over the mashed peaches.
17. Decorate with remaining peach slices.
18. Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting.