Fix And Freeze Chicken Pies
|Short crust pastry||3⁄4 Pound (350 gram)|
|Butter||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Plain flour||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Chicken stock||1 Pint|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Mushrooms||3⁄4 Pound (350 gram)|
1) Prepare the shortcrust pastry and set aside to rest while preparing the filling.
2) Preheat the oven at (375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5).
3) In a roasting tin, put the chicken joints.
4) Add 1 oz (25 g) of the butter and cover with a buttered paper.
5) Cook in a moderate oven (350°F, 180°C or Gas No, 4) for 1 hour, until tender.
6) In a saucepan, melt 2 oz (50 g) of the remaining butter over low heat.
7) Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
8) Slowly stir in the stock and bring up to the boil, beating well all the time.
9) Season with salt and pepper and cook gently for a few minutes, then from heat.
10) Remove the chicken from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle.
111) Remove the skin and lift the flesh from the bones.
12) Add the chicken flesh to the sauce.
13) Trim and slice the mushrooms and lightly fry in the remaining 1 oz (25 g) of butter.
14) Add to the chicken filling.
15) Spoon the mixture into two 8-inch (20-cm) foil, pie cases, filling the dishes.
16) Set aside to cool.
17) When cold, lightly grease the edge of each dish.
18) Divide the pastry in half and roll out two circles, large enough to cover the pies.
19) Line the edges of the dish with pastry trimmings, dampen with water and cover each pie with a pastry circle.
20) Seal the edges well.
21) Do not cut slits in the pie top.
22) Put each pie in a polythene bag or wrap in foil and freeze.
23)To serve: Unwrap the pie and thaw for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
24) Cut a few slits in the top.
25) Bake moderately in hot oven for 45-50 minutes.
26) Serve the warm chicken pies as snack.
Calories 3346 Calories from Fat 1819
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 202 g310.9%
Saturated Fat 64.8 g323.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1048 mg349.3%
Sodium 1398.4 mg58.3%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.6%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 316 g632.7%
Vitamin A 39.2% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 72%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet