Rhubarb and Orange Pie
|Shortcrust pastry||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Milk||2 Tablespoon (To Brush The Pastry Dough)|
|Sugar||3 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|For the filling|
|Rhubarb||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Grams)|
|Brown sugar||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon (Of 1 Small Orange)|
1. Prepare your favorite recipe of shortcrust pastry or use a ready one.
2. Wash rhubarb then trim and cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C or Gas No. 6)
4. Divide the pastry into half.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half into a circle, 1-inch larger than an 8-inch or 9-inch flan ring or tart tin.
6. Carefully lift the pastry and use it to line the ring, neatly trimming the edges.
7. Fill the pie shell with the rhubarb pieces and sprinkle generously with brown sugar and grated orange rind.
8. Roll out other half of pastry dough into a circle to for pie crust.
9. Dampen the pastry rim and cover with crust. Trim away excess pastry if any.
10. Seal at the edges by pinching or crimping.
11. Vent by making slits with sharp tipped knife.
12. Give pastry crust a milk-wash. It helps to give a nice golden color.
13. Bake pie in preheated oven for about 40 minutes until fruit is soft.
14. Remove and give another milk-wash and dust with castor sugar.
15. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes until pastry is golden and crisp.
16. Remove from tart tin onto a serving platter.
17. Cut into wedges.
18. Serve the pie warm with whipped cream on the side if you like.