Apple and Cranberry Pie
|Shortcrust pastry||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Milk||2 Tablespoon (For Brushing The Pastry)|
|For the filling|
|Fresh cranberries||1⁄2 Pound (225 Grams)|
|Apples||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Sugar||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
1. Prepare your favorite recipe of shortcrust pastry or use a ready one.
2. Wash and hull the cranberries, discarding soft ones.
3. Peel, core and slice apples. Toss them with a little lemon juice to prevent browning.
4. In a small cup, blend cornflour with a little water.
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C or Gas No. 6)
6. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water.
7. Heat on a medium flame, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
8. Add the cranberries, apples and cornstarch to the syrup stir well.
9. Cook, stirring frequently until cranberries are soft.
10. Take pan off the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
11. Divide the pastry into half.
12. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half into a circle, 1-inch larger than an 8-inch flan ring or tart tin.
13. Carefully lift the pastry and use it to line the ring, neatly trimming the edges.
14. Spoon the apple-cranberry mixture into the pastry shell.
15. Roll out other half of pastry dough into a circle to for pie crust.
16. Dampen the pastry rim and cover with crust. Trim away excess pastry if any.
17. Seal at the edges by pinching or crimping.
18. Vent by making slits with sharp tipped knife.
19. Give pastry crust a milk-wash. It helps to give a nice golden color.
20. Bake pie in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until fruit is soft and pastry is golden.
21. Serve the pie warm with whipped cream on the side if you like.
Calories 362 Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.4%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.75 mg0.25%
Sodium 5.3 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.3%
Sugars 71.2 g
Protein 1 g2.7%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 21.3%
Calcium 2% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet