Old Fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|9 inch baked pastry shell||1|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a pan, mix sugar, water and butter.
3) Beat this mix well, until sugar is dissolved completely.
4) In another small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water, blending well.
5) To the mix in the pan, add this.
6) In a mixer, beat egg yolks with milk.
7) Into the pan, stir the egg yolk mix.
8) Cook this mix for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
9) After cooking, remove the pan from heat.
10) To this, add lemon juice and peel. Mix gently.
11) Into the baked pie shell, transfer this mixture.
12) Now, to prepare the meringue, beat egg whites until firm, with cream of tartar.
13) To this, gradually add sugar.
14) Finally, add lemon juice to the meringue.
15) Over the cooled pie, spread the meringue. Seal to edges to avoid the pie from shrinking.
16) Bake in the oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until brown.
17) Slice and serve with a scoop of ice cream.