Raised Pork Pies
|Pork sausage meat||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Powdered sage||1 Pinch|
|Hard boiled eggs||2|
|Egg||1 , blended with a little milk for glazing|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|White fat/Lard||3 Ounce|
|Milk and water||5 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl, add the pork sausage meat, pinch of sage and seasonings.
2. Mix well using your hand or a wooden spoon.
3. To prepare the pastry dough, into a basin, sieve the flour and salt. Make a well in the center.
4. Cut 2 bands of wax paper and grease well.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C or Gas No. 4)
6. Dust your hands with a little flour then divide the meat mixture into two equal portions and mold each portion over each hard boiled egg. Keep aside.
7. Into a saucepan, measure the fat and liquid and heat to boiling point.
8. Pour hot liquid all at once in the immediately into the flour.
9. With a wooden spoon, beat quickly and vigorously until it binds into a ball
10. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until soft.
11. Divide the pastry in half and remove Â¼ portion from each to make the lids.
12. Mould each large portion of pastry into a round; flatten out the centre to make the base, and pinch the edges to make the sides.
13. Place the sausage coated egg in the centre and mold the sides of the pastry to cover the filling.
14. Roll the reserved pieces of pastry to form lids.
15. Dampen the edge with egg wash and stick the lid on top.
16. Pinch or crimp the edges to seal.
17. Vent the pies by making a small hole in the center of each.
18. Use pastry trimmings to decorate the tops with leaves if you wish.
19. Fix a greased band of paper round each pie.
20. Give pies an egg wash.
21. Set the pies on a baking tray and place in the centre of preheated oven
22. Bake for 20 minutes.
23. Lower temperature to 350°F (180°C or Gas No. 4) and bake for another 40 minutes.
24. Peel off paper bands after 30 minutes of baking and brush whole pies with egg wash
25. Remove baked pies from oven and let cool slightly.
26. Serve half a pie for each portion and accompany with a salad on the side.
Calories 641 Calories from Fat 373
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.7%
Saturated Fat 14.9 g74.4%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 235.1 mg78.4%
Sodium 716.2 mg29.8%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 18 g35.5%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet