|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter-flavored shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chilled|
|Milk||1 1⁄8 Cup (18 tbs), chilled|
|Jam||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (any fruit flavour)|
|Fruit||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (fruit of your choice)|
|Powdered sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a food processor, place together flour, baking powder and shortening, cut the shortening into the flour by processing until the mixture reaches coarse texture.
3. Gently stream in cold milk, while still mixing the flour mixture and mix until it forms into a ball.
4. Separate the dough and make in to 3 balls, wrap each ball in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. In a bowl, mix together, powdered sugar, a little milk, and vanilla to make a glaze, and set aside.
6. In a bowl, mix together jam and diced fruit, set aside
7. On a floured surface place the dough, flatten it and dust with flour.
8. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to get even shape and thickness.
9. Using a cookie cutter or round bowl, cut the dough, use the leftover to make dough again.
10. On a greased baking sheet, place the dough circles, leaving some space between two circles.
11. Place a spoonful of filling, in the centre of the each dough, run a wet finger over the edges of the pie circle, fold the pie circle in half.
12. Dip a fork in water and crimp the edges to seal tightly.
12. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or they get golden colour on top.
13. Remove the pies out from oven and allow to cool.
14. Spread the glaze over the pies and serve.
You can use pastry cutter or fork to cut the shortening instead of using the food processer.
Calories 369 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.6 mg1.2%
Sodium 600.6 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.2%
Sugars 14.3 g
Protein 6 g12.2%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 14.3% Iron 13.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet