Onion Chili Pie
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Solid vegetable shortening||4 Tablespoon|
|Ice water||3 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onions||2 Large|
|Poblano chiles/Anaheim chiles||2|
|Monterey jack cheese||8 Ounce, grated (2 Cups)|
|Eggs||3 , slightly beaten|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Avocado||1 , sliced (To Garnish)|
1. To make crust, combine flour and salt.
2. Add small cubes of shortening and butter and rub or cut in until mixture its crumbly
3. Add a little ice water and stir quickly and lightly just until dough forms a ball.
4. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 11 inches circle and use it to neatly line a 9-inch tart tin.
6. Trim crust leaving 1-inch at the edges and pinch into a fluted edge.
7. Refrigerate the pie shell for 20 minutes before baking.
8. Slice the onions, cut in half and separate the rings.
9. Preheat the oven 400°F
10. Bake the pastry shell blind for about 12 to 14 minutes until pale and golden.
11. In a skillet, melt butter.
12. Add onions and sauté them stirring frequently, for about 25 minutes on a medium low flame until lightly caramelized.
13. In the meantime, roast chilies under broiler until charred.
14. Place in a bowl and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
15. When cool, peel, seed, and chop them, wearing kitchen gloves if you like.
16. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
17. Add chilies to the onions.
18. Fill the tart shell with onion-chile mixture.
19. Top with grated cheese.
20. Make a custard by lightly beating eggs, sour cream, milk and seasonings.
21. Pour custard over the onions and cheese.
22. Bake pie in hot moderate oven for almost 45 minutes until custard is set and golden.
23. Cut warm tart into wedges and serve garnished with avocado.