Refreshing Orange Chiffon Pie
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Canned mandarin orange sections||11 Ounce, drained, reserve 2/3 cup syrup|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|9 inch graham cracker crumb crust||1 , baked|
1) In a glass bowl, mix gelatin and 1/3 cup sugar.
2) Blend egg yolks with reserved syrup, lemon juice and lemon peel. Stir in this to the gelatin mix in the bowl.
3) Microwave on medium power for 5 to 6 minutes or until gelatin is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
4) Chill until the mixture mounds slightly, stirring as required.
5) Meanwhile, beat egg whites until soft.
6) Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat again, until stiff.
7) Fold in gelatin mixture and 1/2 oranges.
8) Turn this into the prepared crust.
9) Chill until the pie turns firm.
10) Serve chilled, garnished with the remaining oranges.