Beef and Vegetable Pot Pie
|Piecrust mix||3 Ounce (1/2 Package)|
|Cooked short ribs||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed, Kept Aside From Oven Braised Short Ribs)|
|Canned onions||1 Pound, drained (1 Can)|
|Canned mushroom caps||4 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Reserved From Oven Braised Short Ribs)|
|Reserved sauce from oven-braised short ribs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Prepared mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
1) Follow the directions on the label to make the piecrust or make one with a personal recipe.
2) Take the bones and fat from the reserved cooked ribs. Slice the meat into 1-inch pieces and in a deep 6-cup freezer-to-oven baking dish, combine the meat with mushrooms and onions.
3) In a small saucepan, sauté the garlic and celery in butter or margarine. Add the flour and stir well. Cook, constantly stirring, till the mixture is bubbly. Add 1 cup of reserved sauce and continue to cook and stir till the mixture has thickened and boiled for about 1 minute. Add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard and stir well. Pour the sauce all over the short-rib-vegetable mixture in the baking dish.
4) Roll out the pastry appropriately and trim the edge to 3 inches larger than the top of the baking dish. Put the paste on the baking dish and turn edge under. Flush with the rim of the pastry and flute to make stand-up edge. Roll out the trimming and shape them into leaves and flowers to garnish the crust, if preferred.
5) To prepare the egg wash, mix the water and egg in a cup. Brush the mixture all over the pastry. If garnish is being used, paint some egg wash on the underside and then arrange the decorations on the pastry.
6) Use heavy-duty aluminium foil with a double fold on top to securely wrap the baking dish. Seal, label and store in the fridge till cold. Freeze.
7) To bake the pastry, take out the foil and cut slits on the surface to allow the steam to escape. Use foil to cover the pastry’s edge so that there is no burning.
8) In a cold oven, place the still frozen pastry and bake at 350 degrees for about 2 ½ hours. After the first 30 minutes of cooking, remove the foil. Bake till the crust is golden and the pie is bubbly.
9) Serve hot.