Lattice Mince Pie
|Plain flour||150 Gram|
|Caster sugar||75 Gram|
1) Into a bowl, sieve the flour and then add the fat which has been cut into small pieces along with a pinch of salt. Run the fat and salt into the flour using the fingertips till the mixture starts to look like fine breadcrumbs.
2) Mix together the egg yolk, sugar and water and add the mixture to the dry ingredients. Bind them together.
3) Use the rolled out pastry to line a pie plate of 8-inches. Flute the edges of the pastry.
4) All over the pastry, spread the mincemeat.
5) Roll out the pastry trimmings left behind and cut them into 6 strips measuring about ½-inch each in width. These strips should be long enough to go across the pie’s top.
6) Lay each strip, after twisting it once or twice, loosely over the mincemeat. Lay three strips each way to make a lattice.
7) Moisten the edges and firmly press them to the pastry.
8) Use a little milk to brush the pie and then bake for about 25 minutes in a moderately hot oven, or till the pie is pale golden brown in color. Allow to cool.
9) Freeze by covering with a polythene bag, sealing, labelling and placing in the freezer.
10) Thaw at room temperature for about 4 hours and heat thoroughly in oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Serve as preferred.