Golden Veggie Shepherd S Pie
|For the lentil sauce|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Carrots||4 , diced|
|Celery head||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), finely chopped|
|Chestnut mushrooms||200 Gram, sliced|
|Dried thyme||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried green lentils||500 Gram, dried (We Used Merchant Gourmet Puy Lentils)|
|Red wine||4 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
|Vegetable stock||3 Pint (1.7 Liters)|
|Tomato puree||3 Tablespoon|
|For the topping|
|Floury potatoes||4 1⁄2 Pound (2 Kilogram, Such As King Edwards)|
|Butter||3 Ounce (85 Grams)|
|Milk||4 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
|Grated cheddar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
1. In a pan, heat the butter over moderate heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and gently fry for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
3. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms.
4. Cook the mixture for 4 minutes more.
5. Now stir in the herbs, the lentils, the wine and stock. Do not season with salt at this stage.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 40-50 minutes until the lentils are very soft.
7. Now addd salt to taste and take it off the heat.
8. Stir in the tomato puree.
9. In a pan filled with water, tip the potatoes.
10. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes until tender.
11. Drain the potatoes, mash with the butter and milk, and add salt and pepper.
12. Serve the lentil sauce topped with the mashed potato.