Steak And Kidney Pie
|Ready puff pastry||17 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lean chuck steak||1⁄2 Pound (2 1/4 Pound Pieces)|
|Button mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Seasoned flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Corn oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Defrost the pastry if frozen.
2. Wash, trim fat off and cut steak into 1-inch pieces.
Wash the kidneys, remove sinuous coating and finely chop the kidneys.
3. Peel and thinly slice the onion and mushrooms.
4. Peel and crush the garlic, if used.
Dredge the meat and kidneys in seasoned flour.
5. Preheat the oven to 325°F
6. In a large skillet, heat the oil and 4 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat.
7. When hot, add the floured meat and sauté until evenly browned.
8. Stir in the remaining seasoned flour and empty the meat mixture into a large oven proof casserole.
9. Melt the remaining butter and sauté the onion until soft
10. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for another few minutes
11. Stir in the beef stock and red wine, bring to a boil, and pour over the meat.
12. Cover the casserole with its lid and transfer to preheated oven.
13. Let the meat stew for 1 1/2-2 hours, it is fork tender.
14. Heat the oven to 450°F
15. Remove the meat and vegetables to a 2-quart pie dish
16. Reduce the casserole juices on a high flame and pour over the meat.
17. On a flour dusted surface, roll out the pastry, into a 1/4 inch thick, sheet to cover the dish.
18. Moisten the rim of the dish with water and cover with pie dish with the pastry.
19. Pinch the edges to seal and brush pastry with beaten egg.
20. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the pastry has puffed and is golden.
21. Serve the pie straight from the oven accompanied with mashed potatoes.