Leek And Chicken Pie
|Black pepper salt||To Taste|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1) Truss and wipe the chicken inside out, cover with cold water.
2) Peel onion and cut in halves.
3) Preheat oven to 375 degree.
4) Trim and slit leeks, wash, and chop into pieces.
5) Take a saucepan, put the chicken, cover with cold water, and then add parsley stalks, onion, bay leaf, and salt to taste.
6) Cover the pan with a lid, and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
7) When done, remove the pan, let the chicken cool in the liquid and then skim off fat from top.
8) Take out chicken and let it cool.
9) Remove bones and skin from the chicken and dice the meat into pieces.
10) Take a 1-quart baking dish, grease with butter, and place the chicken in it.
11) Cover with a layer of chopped leeks and repeat layers.
12) Season with salt and pepper and then pour in the reserved chicken stock.
13) Roll out the pastry in a floured surface to cover the baking dish.
14) Grease the rim of the dish with butter and line the trimmings of pastry.
15) Make this arrangement from end to end of the dish, moisten the edges, and then cover with the rolled out pastry dough.
16) Press the edges together to seal.
17) Make slits in the pastry to let the steam escape.
18) Decorate the pie with the trimmings.
19) Brush milk and egg mixture in the pie and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degree.
20) Reduce heat to 325 degree and bake further for 15 minutes.
21) Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
This pie is substantial and requires no extra vegetables but if you desire you can toss young carrots, peas, broccoli, or new potatoes in butter and serve along the pie.