Black Bottom Pie
|Ginger snaps||14 (Crisp)|
|Melted butter||5 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Egg yolks||4 , beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Chocolate square||1 1⁄2|
|Cold water||4 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Collect and measure all the required ingredients
2. Preheat the oven to 300°F before baking
3. Generously grease a 9-inch pie pan with butter.
4. Soften the gelatin in cold water.
5. Prepare a double boiler pan by setting a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water over a medium low flame.
6. Place the ginger snaps in a zip lock bag and crush them finely using a rolling pin.
7. Empty them into a bowl and add the melted butter to it. Using your fingertips, rub the butter with the crumbs.
8. Turn the mixture into the greased pie pan and press to line the bottom and the sides.
9. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool and harden.
10. To make the pie filling take a bowl that will fit over the double boiler.
11. Combine the eggs, sugar and cornflour then gradually add the milk, whisking to blend.
12. Place the bowl over the double boiler and cook to make a custard, stirring it frequently, until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
13. Take the pan off the heat and remove 1 cup of the custard.
14. To the 1 cup custard add the chocolate and stir till it melts. When slightly cool, stir in the vanilla and pour this into the prepared pie shell.
15. Refrigerate the pie to set.
16. To the remaining hot custard, add the softened gelatin. You can replace the bowl over the double boiler if the custard has cooled. Stir until the gelatin dissolves completely. Set aside to cool slightly.
17. In a clean dry bowl, add egg whites and beat with an electric mixer or a wire whisk until stiff and forms soft peaks.
18. Fold the egg whites into the cooled custard and then stir in the rum.
19. Allow the custard to cool.
20. When the chocolate custard in the pie shell sets, add vanilla-rum custard and spread.
21. Return to the refrigerator to set completely.
22. Decorate the pie with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
23. Slice into wedges and serve cold.