Coconut Chiffon Pie
|9 inch pie shell||1|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Moist)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Jellied cranberry sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jellied cranberry sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into 1/4 inch slices|
1. Prepare pie shell and bake.
2. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix unflavored gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar and salt thoroughly in top of a double boiler. Bring water to boiling in bottom of the double boiler.
4. Beat egg yolks slightly in a mixing bowl.
5. Blend in milk.
6. Add to the gelatin mixture and place over boiling water in lower part of double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 min. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Then place in refrigerator to chill. Or chill the mixture in a bowl of ice and water, stirring occasionally, until it mounds when dropped from a spoon.
7. Blend in moist flaked coconut and vanilla extract.
8. Spread jellied cranberry sauce evenly in pie shell and set aside.
9. Beat egg whites until frothy.
10. Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
11. Beat until very stiff peaks are formed. Spread lightly over gelatin mixture and gently fold together. Turn into sauce-lined pie shell, sprinkle with moist flaked coconut.
12. Chill pie in refrigerator until firm.
13. Just before serving, cut a few stars with small cutter from jellied cranberry sauce.
14. Garnish top of pie with stars.