A quick alternative to a lemon pie. Eliminating the butter in the crust eliminates a lot of the fat along with the fat free sweetened condensed milk.
Low fat graham cracker crumbs
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (3 Crackers)
Fat free sweetened condensed milk
Juice of lemon/Lime, orange/ grapefruit juice
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
Zest of lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Press graham cracker crumbs evenly into the bottom of a 9"" pie pan. Or use approximately 1 tablespoon at the bottom of tart dishes for smaller individual servings. Set aside.
3. Beat the milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and zest until incorporated.
4. Gently pour into the prepared crust.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. You may need to bake longer if use deeper dishes.
6. Cool before serving.
I love lemon meringue pie but the thought of making it is daunting. This was a great alternative. If you are going to use smaller dishes, watch the baking time especially if you fill them higher.
Low-Fat Citrus Pie
A better title would be creamy grapefruit-orange-lime-lemon pie because all of those citrus varieties work! The fat content in this pie is lower than other lemon pie recipes as it uses low fat graham crackers, no butter in the crust, and egg whites with only one full egg instead of 2 full eggs. As with many recipes, you can change it to make it your own by using a different citrus fruit, adding butter to the crust or additional egg yolk to make it a little more custard like.