Spiced Lentil Pie
|Plain flour||12 Ounce (375 Gram)|
|Chilled butter||6 Ounce, diced (175 Gram)|
|Cumin seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|For the filling|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Sunflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Celery stick||2 , chopped|
|Red pepper||1 , deseeded and chopped|
|Red lentils||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Ripe tomatoes||3 , skinned and chopped|
|Chili powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Beaten egg||1 (To Glaze)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 200 degrees.
2) In a bowl, put the flour and rub in the butter till the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the salt and spices and then add the lemon juice along with about 2 tablespoons of water. Mix to make a firm dough. Wrap and keep aside to rest the dough at room temperature.
3) In oil, fry the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes till it has tendered. Add the pepper and celery and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, chilli powder and stock. Cook gently over low flame, occasionally stirring, till all the stock has been absorbed. Add the lemon juice, coriander, salt and pepper. Allow mixture to cool.
4) Roll out about half of the pastry and use it to line a 9-inch pie dish. Add the filling and use water to brush the pastry’s edges.
5) Roll out the remainder of the pastry and use it to cover the pie. Seal by pinching the edges together. With a beaten egg, brush the top and put in the preheated oven. Cook for 40 minutes, till the pastry is brown. If the pie starts to over-brown, cover with some foil.
6) Serve hot.
Calories 877 Calories from Fat 404
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.8%
Saturated Fat 23.7 g118.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 144.3 mg48.1%
Sodium 334 mg13.9%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.6%
Dietary Fiber 12.3 g49.4%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 17 g34.5%
Vitamin A 80.9% Vitamin C 106.3%
Calcium 12% Iron 25.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet