Frosted Lime Pie
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cold water||7 Tablespoon (1/2 Scant Cup)|
|Egg yolks/3 small ones||2 Large|
|Fresh lime juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Depending On Strength And Taste)|
|Grated lime rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Green coloring||3 Drop (A Few Drops)|
|Egg whites/3 small ones||2 Large|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Mint leaves||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Lime twist||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Assemble and measure all the required ingredients.
2. Prepare a double boiler by placing a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water on a medium low flame.
3. In saucepan that fits over the double boiler, combine the sugar, hot water.
4. Place over a direct flame and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Blend the corn starch in the cold water and stir into the hot syrup
6. Transfer the pan over the double boiler and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and is transparent.
7. Taking pan off the heat, add the egg yolks and whisk vigorously to blend well.
8. Return pan over the double boiler and cook, stirring for 2 minutes before adding the lime juice and rind
9. Cook the lime curd until thick.
10. Stir in the butter and the green color into the curd and blend well.
11. Take pan off the heat cool slightly.
12. Pour the lime curd into the pie shell and leave aside.
13. In a small saucepan add the marshmallows and melt them over a low flame, stirring frequently.
14. In a clean dry bowl, make the meringue by beating the egg whites with a wire whisk, until stiff.
15. Add the melted marshmallows, sugar and lime juice and whisk until meringue stands in soft peaks and is glossy.
16. Spoon over the lemon curd and spread, making small peaks with the back of the spoon.
17. Place pie under a broiler until meringue is lightly browned and sugar is caramelized if desired or chill before serving.
18. Serve the pie warm or chilled, garnish the pie with lime twists or mint leaves that have been brushed with a little egg white and frosted with sugar.
19. Slice into wedges and serve.
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5.3%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g8.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 67.1 mg22.4%
Sodium 40.2 mg1.7%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.63 g2.5%
Sugars 19.9 g
Protein 2 g4.9%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 21.2%
Calcium 2.1% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet