Simple Beef Steak And Kidney Pie
|Stewing steak||1 1⁄4 Pound (600 Gram)|
|Ox kidney||8 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Streaky bacon||4 Ounce, cut into strips (100 Gram)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Dripping||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Beef stock/Stock made with a stock cube||1⁄2 Pint (250 Milliliter)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato ketchup||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen puff pastry||7 Ounce, thawed (175 Gram)|
1) Clean and cut the steak and kidney into 2.5 cm (1 inch) chunks. Add flour to it and put in a polythene bag.
2) Toss the meat until the flour coats it.
3) In a pan, heat oil and fry the meat with bacon and onion. Add any additional flour remaining.
4) Keep stirring the stock and bring it to boil.
5) Pour Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Add seasoning.
6) Cook covered on low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours till meat turns tender.
7) Transfer the content to an aluminium foil pie dish. Leave it aside to cool.
8) Place the pastry dough on the pie dish after rolling it. Seal the edges.
9) Serve hot.
Freeze the content after covering with foil. Before serving, take away the foil, brush some milk on the dough, and bake in a preheated oven at 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7, for 30 minutes. Bake further for 20 minutes, reducing the oven temperature to moderate, 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4. The pastry should be golden brown and well risen.
Calories 984 Calories from Fat 482
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g82.7%
Saturated Fat 19.4 g96.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 93.8 mg31.3%
Sodium 1350.4 mg56.3%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 10.9 g43.6%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 52 g103.9%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 14.1%
Calcium 11.1% Iron 43.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet