Baked Chocolate Sponge Pie
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|9 inch unbaked pie shell||1|
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. In a bowl cream butter with 2/3 cup of sugar by using the electric mixter.
3. Fold in flour and cocoa and blend well.
4. Fold in egg yolks and whip the mixture well. Ensure that only one eggs are added at a time.
5. Add milk and vanilla.
6. In a bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gradually fold in egg 1/3 cup of sugar and continue beating unless the egg whites stand in peaks.
7. Add egg whites to the chocolate mixture and spread it over the unbaked pie shell.
8. In a hot oven bake for 15 minutes at 425° F, and continue baking for another half an hour by reducing the temperature to 325° F. Ensure that you stop baking when the surface starts giving out the feeling of firmness.
9. Serve the pie after topping with whipped cream.