Prize Winning Lemon Meringue Pie
|9 inch baked pie shell||1|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a saucepan combine sugar, salt and cornstarch and add hot water to it.
3. Heat it directly and allow it to boil.
4. Cook over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes until the mixture becomes clear and thick. Ensure that the mixture is stirred constantly.
5. When done remove from heat.
6. Blend several hot spoons of this mixture with beaten egg yolks.
7. Put these egg yolks back into the saucepan and boil it.
8. When boiled reduce the heat and simmer for about 4-5 minutes by stirring continuosly.
9. When done remove form heat and gradually fold in rind, butter and lemon juice.
10. Cool the mixture and then spread it over the cooled baked pie shell.
11. Spread meringue over the mixture and add 2 egg whites to a deep medium sized bowl.
12. Blend in 1 tbsp lemon juice and whisk it until it forms soft peaks.
13. Fold in 6 tablespoons of sugar. Add one at at a time and whip well after each addition.
14. In a bowl beat in egg whites until it stands in firm glossy peaks.
15. Put the mixture over cooled filling. Start by working at the edges and move towards the center of the pie, and append meringue towards the edges of the crust.
15. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350° F.
16. When done cool the pie,. Ensure that pie is not refrigerated.
17. Serve cold.