Steak and Kidney Pie
|Round steak||1 Pound|
|Lamb kidneys/1 medium veal kidney||1⁄2 Pound|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bay leaf/1/4 teaspoon oregano||1|
|Chopped celery leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mushroom stems and pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. On a meat board, cut the steak into 1 inch cubes. Remove in a large work bowl.
2. Clean the kidney and chop into 1 inch cubes. Combine with steak.
3. Dredge the meat with seasoned flour in the bowl.
4. Prepare whole-wheat pastry dough and line a shallow pie dish. Roll another crust to cover the pie.
5. Heat a skillet on medium flame.
6. Melt butter.
7. Add onion and sauté till soft and translucent.
8. Add the dredged meat and sauté until browned.
9. Pour water and add herbs to the skillet, stir to mix with meat.
10. Cover the skillet, reduce the flame and simmer meat for 1 hour till meat is tender.
11. Add the vegetables to the stew and cook for another 5 minutes.
12. Preheat the oven to 425°F
13. Pour the meat stew into the prepared pastry shell.
14. Cover the pie with the rolled pastry crust, sealing the edges. Make incisions on the crust to allow steam to escape.
15. Bake the pie in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
16. Remove pie from the oven, allow it to cool slightly.
17. Slice at the table.