Yummy Lemon Chiffon Pie
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sugar in the raw||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
1. Prepare a 9-inch pastry shell or crumb crust.
2. In a small bowl, soften gelatin in cold water.
3. Prepare a double boiler. Use a sturdy 2- or 4-quart sauce pan. Fill the sauce pan with 2 or 3 inches of water and bringing it to a steady boil. Reduce the heat so that the water is just below boiling point
1. Use a medium sized heavy bottom sauce pan.
2. Combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and salt in the sauce pan.
3. Put the saucepan over double boiler.
4. Cook stirring constantly, till the mixture thickens to the consistency of custard.
5. Beat the egg yolks. Add a bit of the hot syrup to the egg yolk.
6. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the softened gelatin into the custard until dissolved.
7. Add the lemon rind to the custard.
8. Chill the sauce until thickened.
9. In a clean, dry and grease free glass bowl, beat the egg whites till stiff.
10. Fold the whipped egg whites into the cooled custard using a spatula.
11. Pour the custard into the prepared pastry shell
12. Refrigerate the pie until chill and firm.
13. Remove from refrigerator.
14. Garnish with whipped cream and or grated coconut.
15. Slice at the table.
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 34
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.7%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 158.6 mg52.9%
Sodium 303.1 mg12.6%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.25 g1%
Sugars 17.7 g
Protein 8 g16.1%
Vitamin A 3.8% Vitamin C 26.1%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 4.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet