|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Asparagus spears||16 Ounce (2 Can)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Grated cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||4 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Prepare the pastry in the regular way but instead of milk, use water for mixing. Chill for as long as possible and then roll out the pastry and line a pie plate of 9-inches.
3) Drain the asparagus properly.
4) Beat egg whites till they are stiff.
5) In the pastry shell, arrange the asparagus spears in a wheel shape and set aside in a cool place.
6) In a pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes, constantly stirring. Gradually add the milk and keep stirring till the mixture is boiling and then add the grated cheese, beaten egg yolks, cream and seasoning.
7) Fold the mixture in the stiffly-beaten egg whites.
8) Pour the mixture all over the asparagus and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
9) Serve hot with green salad and broiled tomatoes.