|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Cold water||5 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Potatoes||2 Large, diced|
|Carrots||3 , thinly sliced|
|Leeks||3 , cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Make the pastry by sifting the salt and flour together. Cut in the butter till the mixture starts to look like fine bread crumbs.
2) Form a firm dough by mixing in the grated cheese and cold water. Shape the concoction into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
4) For the filling, cook the carrots and potatoes together in boiling salt water for 10 minutes. Drain the vegetables properly and place them in a pie plate which is 10-inches deep. Stir ti mix properly and sprinkle sale, pepper and parsley all over.
5) In a clean saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Blend the broth very gradually and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook over low flame, constantly stirring, till the mixture is thick and smooth. Pour it all over the vegetables.
6) Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to make a circle which is about 11-inches in diameter. All around the edges, cut off the a narrow strip of pastry and reserve this as well as the other trimmings.
7) With water, brush the rim of the pie plate and then press the pastry's narrow strip all around the rim. Brush the strip as well and top with the pastry. Trim the edges, seal by pressing properly and flute the edges.
8) Use the pastry trimmings to make the decoration and brush the undersides with water. Press decorations on the pie, make a hole in the pie's top and brush it with egg.
9) Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, till the pastry has turned golden brown.
10) Serve hot.