Green Tomato Pie
|Sliced green tomatoes||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||3⁄4 Pinch (Or 1 Small Pinch)|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated and juice extracted|
|Pastry for 2 crust 9 inch pie||1|
1. Wash tomatoes; do not peel. Slice 1/8 inch thick into bowl. Pour on boiling water to cover; let stand 3 minutes. Drain.
2. In a small bowl combine sugar, salt, flour, and spices. Combine lemon juice and rind in another bowl.
3. Fill pastry-lined pie dish with layers of green tomatoes, sprinkling each layer with sugar mixture, dots of butter, and small amounts of lemon mixture.
4. When pan is filled, arrange pastry strips in a lattice pattern over filling. Moisten edges to seal and flute or press together with a fork.
5. Bake in 450° oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375° and bake until tomatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
6. Remove to a wire rack to cool..
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2353 Calories from Fat 671
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g119.7%
Saturated Fat 23.3 g116.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 1579 mg65.8%
Total Carbohydrates 415 g138.2%
Dietary Fiber 20.9 g83.5%
Sugars 272.1 g
Protein 37 g74.3%
Vitamin A 200.4% Vitamin C 636.8%
Calcium 26.8% Iron 55.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet