Green Tomato Pie
|Sliced green tomatoes||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||3⁄4 Pinch (Or 1 Small Pinch)|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated and juice extracted|
|Pastry for 2 crust 9 inch pie||1|
1. Wash tomatoes; do not peel. Slice 1/8 inch thick into bowl. Pour on boiling water to cover; let stand 3 minutes. Drain.
2. In a small bowl combine sugar, salt, flour, and spices. Combine lemon juice and rind in another bowl.
3. Fill pastry-lined pie dish with layers of green tomatoes, sprinkling each layer with sugar mixture, dots of butter, and small amounts of lemon mixture.
4. When pan is filled, arrange pastry strips in a lattice pattern over filling. Moisten edges to seal and flute or press together with a fork.
5. Bake in 450° oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375° and bake until tomatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
6. Remove to a wire rack to cool..