Baked Ice Cream Pie In Cocoa Crust
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Quart (or peppermint)|
|Cream of tartar||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
2. Take a bowl and add sifted flour, cocoa, sugar and salt to it . Fold in the shortening and beat the mixture using electric beater until it attains the consistency of corn meal and small peas.
3. Take a bowl and add vanilla and water to it.
4. Spray enough vanilla mixture over flour mixture to dampen it .
5. Combine the ingredients using pastry blender or fork.
6. Spread a wax paper and place the dough over it.
7. Knead the dough nicely for atleast 3 times and allow it to stand at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes.
8. Roll the dough enough to fit into the pie pan.
9. Flut the edges and prick the bottom of the pastry using the fork.
10. Bake the mixture in oven for 8-10 minutes at 450° F and allow it to cool.
11. Put the ice cream into the cooled pie crust. Wrap the crust properly and place it int refrigerator if you wish to serve it later.
12. Take a bowl and prepare meringue by whipping egg whites and salt until the peaks are formed when beater is lifted.
13. Fold in tartar and sugar to the mixture until the meringue becomes stiff.
14. Blend in vanilla.
15. Spoon the meringue over ice cream. Ensure that the meringue touches the pie crust by all means.
16. Bake the mixture for 3 minutes at 450° F until the meringue gets browned.
17. Serve it warm.