Baked Strawberry Pie
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon (Royal)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Pre-heat the oven to the required temperature.
2) In a wide bowl, sift the flour with salt and baking powder. Rub in the shortening very lightly.
3) Add in water very slowly, and make a stiff dough.
4) On a slightly floured board, roll out one dough portion. Layer it as the bottom crust of a pie plate. Fold the the dough over the rim.
5) Bake for about 12 to 15 mins
6) Remove the crust from the oven and fill it with fresh, hulled strawberries and cover it up with hot syrup
7) TO MAKE THE SYRUP: In a saucepan boil 2 cups of water. Add ½ cup strawberries and ½ cup sugar. Boil further till the strawberries are cooked. Remove from heat and strain the syrup into a different sauce pan.
8) Mix a little cornstarch mixed with some water into the syrup. Cook the syrup for 2 minutes over high heat for a few minutes, continually stirring. Remove from heat and beat the syrup well. Then, return it to low heat and cook till it turns thick.
9) Serve the pie warm or cold as you may like.
To have a glazed crust, brush the edges of the crust soon after baking with boiling hot syrup; 2 tablespoons syrup is to 1 tablespoon. Return the crust to the oven and bake for 2 minutes till the syrup coating hardens.