Sage Flavored Chicken Pot Pie with Phyllo Crust
|Boneless chicken meat||3⁄4 Pound, skinned and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (From About 5 Large Thighs Or 3 Breast Halves)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Potato/White turnip||1 , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, wiped clean and quartered|
|Carrot||1 Small, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped fresh sage/3/4 teaspoon dried sage||1 Tablespoon|
|Zucchini||1 Small, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|Unsalted chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||2 Tablespoon, mixed with 4 tablespoon white wine|
|White wine||4 Tablespoon|
|For phyllo crust|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. To make the phyllo pastry dough, in a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour with salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil.
2. Using your hand, mix while you pour in 1/3 cup of luke warm water and bring together into a ball.
3. Transfer to a work surface and knead into soft pliable dough. Cover with a damp cloth for later use.
4. Grease a 10 inch round pie dish or quiche pan with butter.
5. Preheat the oven to 325° F
6. In a medium saucepan, pour in the stock and bring to a boil over a medium flame, lower the heat and simmer until reduced to 1 ½ cups.
7. In the meanwhile to prepare the pie filling, in a heavy bottomed skillet, melt the butter over a medium flame.
8. Add the potato or turnip and sauté for 2 minutes.
9. Then add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, salt and pepper and sauté till the onions are soft.
10. Add flour and mix. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
11. Further add the zucchini, chicken pieces and sage. Sauté for 5 minutes till the zucchini is soft.
12. To the reduced stock, add the corn starch mixture and stir until thickened to a sauce consistency.
13. Pour this sauce into the chicken and vegetable mixture and stir to blend in. Take pan off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
14. Uncover the prepared phyllo dough and transfer to a clean, corn flour dusted work surface.
15. Use a rolling pin; roll the dough into a uniformly thin circle.
16. Melt the butter in the microwave and generously brush the pastry with butter.
17. Pull the dough evenly from all sides to form a paper thin disc of 2-2 ½ feet diameter.
18. Fold the dough circle into half and then again into a quarter.
19. Place the pie dish over the dough and cut into a circle, ½ inch larger than the pie dish.
20. Pour the prepared chicken filling into the pie dish.
21. Gently pick up the prepared phyllo pastry crust and place it to cover the pie dish. To do so, fold the pastry in half, place it to fit half the pie dish and then unfold it to cover the other half of the dish. Seal the edges and brush the pastry crust with the remaining melted butter.
22. Place the pie dish in the preheated oven and bake the pie for 20-25 minutes till the crust turns golden brown.
23. Remove the pie from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.
24. Serve from the pie dish at the table.