|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||4 Tablespoon|
|White wine||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F, Gas Mark 7.
2) Take a bowl and sieve the flour and salt to start preparing the pastry.
3) Cut the butter or margarine into small pieces and add to the flour.
4) Pour in enough water to make the dough soft.
5) Take a lightly floured board and roll out the dough to an oblong.
6) Fold the three sides of the dough like an envelope and arrange it so that the open end is facing you.
7) Repeat the rolling, folding and turning two more times and allow chilling.
8) Take a large saucepan and put the chicken, onion and bouquet garni into it.
9) Bring this to boil by adding enough water to cover it.
10) Cover tightly with a lid and cook for about 1 hour till the chicken is soft.
11) Allow cooling after removing the chicken from the stock.
12) Drain the stock but save about 1/2 pint (250 ml.) or 1 1/4 cups.
13) Sauté the mushrooms in the butter or margarine until just soft.
14) Mix in the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
15) Slowly add the saved chicken stock, stirring constantly.
16) Allow boiling and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, till the mixture is thick.
17) Add in the parsley, seasoning, cream and wine, if used.
18) Take off from the heat and keep aside.
19) Remove the skin and cut the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces after taking the meat off the carcass.
20) Take a 2 pint (1 litre) or 5 cup pie dish and arrange the chicken meat in it in alternating layers with the mushroom mixture.
21) Leave to cool.
22) Even out the dough to about 1/4 inch (3/4 cm.) thickness which is large enough to cover the pie dish with a 1/2 inch (1 1/4 cm.) border.
23) Dampen the rim of the pie dish and press a 1/2 inch (1 1/4 cm.) border strip cut from the dough on to it.
24) Keep a pie funnel in the centre of the pie dish and place the dough over the top, pressing strongly on to the border strip to seal.
25) Use the dough trimming to decorate the top after crimping the edge.
26) Use beaten egg to brush this.
27) Bake in the hot oven for 25 to 35 minutes till the pastry is risen and golden brown.
28) Serve with salad.