Little Lemon Meringue Pies
|Short crust pastry||500 Gram|
|Lemon||4 , zest removed and juiced|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||11 Ounce (325 Gram)|
|Eggs||8 (4 Separated)|
|Malt vinegar||3 Drop (Few Drops)|
1) Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4.
2) Roll out the pastry dough. Line 8 x 10cm fluted loose-bottomed tart cases with the dough and let a little pastry hang out in excess.
3) Make prick marks the cases with a fork. Bake for 20 mins until they turn pale golden brown.
4) Note: Remove the paper and beans after 15 mins of baking.
5) Once baked, allow it to cool. Use a serrated knife to neatly level the pastry.
6) As the cases are baking, add the zest, juice, butter and 225g sugar to a large heavy set pan. Heat over low flame, till the sugar dissolves.
7) Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk the whole eggs and yolks together and pour into the pan.
8) Return the pan to flame, stir over a low heat for 5-10 mins until thickened.
9) Pour the mix into a bowl through a sieve. Fill the cases with this mix. You can store leftover mix in the fridge for up to 3 days.
10) In a grease-free bowl, beat in the egg whites with 50g of sugar until stiff peaks form. Pour in the vinegar and gradually whisk in the remaining sugar.
11) Drop a nice dessert spoonful of meringue on to the top of each tart. Carve out peaks on each case with a palette knife.
12) Place the cases on a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins till they brown a little on top.
13) Remove from heat and let it cool. Serve once cooled.