Steak And Kidney Pies
|Stewing steak||12 Ounce, cut in 1/2 inch cubes|
|Ox kidney||4 Ounce, cut in 1/2 inch cubes|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Cooking fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lard||3⁄8 Cup (6 tbs) (shortening)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg/Milk||1 , beaten|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
2) Season the flour and toss the steak and kidney cubes in it.
3) Sauté the onion in the lard (cooking fat) until they are translucent.
4) Brown the steak and kidney cubes in it.
5) Add in the stock and seasoning to taste and allow boiling.
6) Cover and boil for about 2 hours till the meat is soft.
7) Let cool.
8) Take a bowl and sieve the flour and salt into it to start preparing the pastry.
9) Put butter or margarine and lard (shortening) into the flour and mix vigorously till the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
10) Pour in enough water to make a good dough.
11) Even out two-thirds of the dough and make six 5 1/2- inch (14 cm.) circles.
12) Use dough circles to line six 4 inch (10 cm.) diameter patty tins.
13) Even out the left over dough and make six 4 inch (10 cm.) circles for lids.
14) Evenly distribute the steak and kidney mixture between the six tins.
15) Pinch the edges of the dough lids together to seal after covering.
16) Decorate the pie tops with any dough trimmings.
17) Beat in egg or milk to finish.
18) Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till the pastry is cooked and browned.
19) Serve hot over coffee.
Calories 1195 Calories from Fat 592
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g102.3%
Saturated Fat 28.6 g142.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 171.6 mg57.2%
Sodium 457.1 mg19%
Total Carbohydrates 108 g36%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.5%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 39 g78.5%
Vitamin A 15.3% Vitamin C 11.7%
Calcium 9.7% Iron 47%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet