New England Chicken Pie
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ham||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dill weed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
|Cooked peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1) Take a shallow roasting pan and keep the chicken in it.
2) To it add boiling water, a teaspoon of salt and an onion.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3) Put it in the oven to be baked for an hour or until the chicken is cooked tender.
4)Bring out the chicken from the pan and set aside the onion and the chicken stock.
5) Allow the chicken to cool down.
6)Discard the bones of the chicken and cut it into slices.
7) Take a 9-inch pie pan and keep the ham and the chicken in it.
8) Now, set the temperature of the oven at 400 degrees.
9) Heat a saucepan and melt the butter in it and then, stir into it 2 tablespoons of flour.
10) Add the onion and reserved stock to it.
12) Next, pour the milk and cook the mixture over medium flame while continuously stirring for a minute or until the sauce starts bubbling and thickens.
13) Simmer the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes.
14)Then, mix the peas into the mixture.
15) Pour the mixture over the chicken mixture and allow it to cool down.
16) In a bowl, mix the remaining salt with 2 cups of sifted flour.
17) Keep cutting in the shortening until the mixture starts looking like a coarse meal.
18) Drizzle the cold water and combine using a fork.
19) Now, make ball shapes out of the coarse dough.
20) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the balls 2 inches bigger than an upside down pie plate.
21) Even out the edges of the rolled out dough by trimming.
22) Slice 1 inch wide strip from pastry edge.
23) Brush water on the pie plate rim and press seal the pastry strip on it.
24) Place the rest of the pastry on the pie plate and press seal the pastry edge to the strip.
25) Using a sharp knife horizontally, make serial cuts in the pastry edge encircling the pie.
26) Now, using the knife’s edge, flute the pastry edge by creating indentations between the forefinger and the thumb.
27) Score the top and allow the steam to vaporize.
28) Brush the top layer with egg coating.
29) Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
30) Serve the dish hot.
You can add a decorative touch to the pie with leaves created by slicing the pastry scraps.
Calories 855 Calories from Fat 514
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g88.6%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g86%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 213.8 mg71.3%
Sodium 835.8 mg34.8%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.7%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 57 g113.5%
Vitamin A 13.2% Vitamin C 11.6%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet