Fabulous Pecan Pie
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cold water||6 Tablespoon|
|Pecan halves||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Dark corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. 15 minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Lightly grease a pie tin or flan ring with butter.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 2 teaspoons sugar, the cinnamon, and allspice.
4. Run in shortening with your finger tips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Sprinkle a little cold water and bind the mixture to resemble dough.
6. Roll dough into a ball.
7. Wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
8. On a lightly flour work surface, roll dough into a circle of 1/8-inch thickness.
9. Carefully lift and fit the pastry into pie tin.
10. Use a knife to trim edges.
11. Fill the pie shell with pecans and, chocolate pieces if using.
12. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, remaining sugar, the eggs, corn syrup, vanilla, lemon peel, and nutmeg.
13. Pour this into pastry shell.
14. Place the pie tin on a baking sheet, on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
15. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 30 minutes till set.
16. Remove and cool on wire rack.
17. Serve warm or chilled with ice-cream, custard or cream.