1) Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 / 190°C.
2) Peel and core the apples, then chop into small chunks and keep aside.
3) Into a food processor bowl add the flour and butter and pulse it until it becomes breadcrumbs. Alternately, add in a big bowl and rub the two together until it turns into breadcrumb consistency.
4) Then add the sugar, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk. Reserve the left over egg white for later. Keep pulsing (or mixing) until it forms big lumps then you can mould it into a ball with your hands.
5) Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
6) In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and flour together.
7) Chuck the apples into the mixture and give it a good stir around making sure they are all covered.
8) Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Cut 1/3 of the pastry off and put back in the fridge for the top.
9) Roll the remaining pastry out so that it is big enough to make a base for the pie dish. Cut any pastry off that is hanging over the sides, but make sure you leave enough so that you can pinch the top and bottom together later.
10) Pour the apples into your pie dish.
11) Then roll out the leftover pastry so that it will fit over the top of the pie.
12) Using the left over egg whites, brush some over the edges of the base. Place your pastry on top and seal together by pinching it with your finger and thumb.
13) Using a sharp knife, make a few slits in the top of the pie, as this will let the steam out when the apples cook. You can also use any leftover pastry and make leaf shapes to decorate the top.
14) Brush the pie all over with egg white and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until it is golden brown on top.
15) Slice and serve the apple pie hot, warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or thick whipped cream or as desired.
This amazing apple pie recipe is the ultimate way to show someone you care. The recipe is super simple and the pie would turn out to be truely irresistible. Make this fall season special with a magnificent classic apple pie and pamper your loved ones. Check it out...