Spiced Chicken and Egg Filo Pie
|Sunflower oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon Plus Extra For Brushing)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams Or 2 Tablespoon)|
|Chicken quarters||3 (Preferably With Breasts Attached)|
|Spanish onions||1 1⁄2 , very finely chopped|
|Ground ginger||1 1⁄4 Pinch (A Generous Pinch)|
|Saffron powder||1 1⁄4 Pinch (A Generous Pinch)|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon (Plus Extra For Dusting)|
|Sliced almonds||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Grams Or 1/3 Cup)|
|Fresh coriander||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm), finely chopped (1 Large Bunch)|
|Fresh parsley||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm), chopped (1 Large Bunch)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Filo pastry||6 Ounce, thawed (175 Grams)|
|Confectionery sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Add the onions, ginger, saffron, 2.5ml/1/2 tsp of the cinnamon and 300ml/1/2 pint/ 1 1/4 cups water. Season well. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer very gently for 45-55 minutes.
2. When the chicken is cooked but still tender, transfer it to a plate. Dry-fry the almonds until golden and set aside.
3. As soon as the cooked chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and cut the flesh into neat, bitesize pieces.
4. Stir the coriander and parsley into the pan and simmer the sauce until well reduced and thickened. Add the beaten eggs and cook over a very gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the eggs are lightly scrambled.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Oil a shallow 25cm/10in round ovenproof dish. Place 1-2 sheets of filo pastry in an even layer over the base and sides of the dish, so that it is completely covered and the edges of the pastry sheets hang over the sides. Lightly brush the pastry with oil and make two more layers of filo, brushing with oil between the layers.
6. Place the chicken in the pastry case then spoon the egg and herb mixture on top. Level the surface of the filling with the back of a spoon.
7. Place a layer of filo on top of the filling (you may need to use more than one sheet of pastry) and scatter with the dry-fried almonds. Lightly sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and the icing sugar, if using.
8. Fold the edges of the filo over the almonds and then make four further layers of filo (using one or two sheets per layer, depending on size), brushing each layer with a little oil. Tuck the filo edges down the side of the pie and brush the top layer with oil.
9. Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes until it is golden brown. Dust the top of the pie with icing sugar and cinnamon, creating a geometric design by using a paper template if you wish. Serve the pie immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2488 Calories from Fat 1242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 140 g215.8%
Saturated Fat 38.2 g191%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 974.6 mg324.9%
Sodium 1938.4 mg80.8%
Total Carbohydrates 170 g56.7%
Dietary Fiber 25.1 g100.4%
Sugars 26.7 g
Protein 137 g274.7%
Vitamin A 417.2% Vitamin C 360.9%
Calcium 65.5% Iron 124.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet